There are a few things to do before you can create an invoice. This article will summarize these four items, and then you will be ready to start creating your billables. Here are the 4 steps:
- Check that your Firm information is complete (one-time)
- Enter contact information for the responsible party/ies in each case
- Enter the billing and tax rates for each professional in your firm (one-time)
- Set up your Stripe account if you accept payment by credit card (one-time)
Check that your Firm information is complete (one-time)
1. Select the Settings "gear icon" in the lower left corner of your screen; then select Manage Firm. Click on Display/Edit next to your Firm name. Check that your Firm's full mailing address, phone number and email have been entered as you want them to appear on an invoice.
2. Scroll down to the Billing Settings section of the Update Firm page. Here you will set your default payment terms and overdue invoice fee, and add your firm’s logo (optional, for your invoice header) and your accepted payment methods. If desired, you can also customize your Billing email templates here.
At least one payment method is required. Add the instructions for how to pay by Wire Transfer and/or Check where indicated and those instructions will appear automatically on every invoice.
|Hint: In the Wire Transfer Instructions field, you may want to include a note asking the parties to send you a separate email with the tracking information.
3. If you use a service such as Venmo, Zelle, or Cash App, check the Accept Custom Payment box. Add your instructions (e.g. your firm's $Cashtag). As long as the box remains checked in your Firm settings, the instructions will appear on every invoice.
4. Parties can pay via a credit card if you have connected a Stripe account. See Set up your Stripe account, below.
Enter contact information for the Responsible Party or Parties in each Case
Open the Case Details screen by selecting a Case from your Dashboard, then select the Edit button in the upper right corner. Ensure that there is an email address and abbreviation for the individual responsible for payment for each Party in the case.
But what if someone other than the Primary individual is responsible for billing, say an insurance company or the vice president for finance? It's easy to change. As soon as you add and save the affiliated party in your case setup, you will see a dropdown box appear on the main Edit Case screen. Simply select the Responsible Party (and make sure you have entered an email address and abbreviation for that person) and select Save.
Enter the billing and tax rates for each professional in your firm (one-time)
This is done in the Professionals Database, where you can keep track of the contact information and billing rates for the members of your firm. If there is a tax rate associated with professional services, that should also be entered here and it will be automatically calculated and added to the invoice.
Set up your Stripe Account if you accept payment by credit card (one-time)
If you would like to allow users to pay with a credit card when an invoice is sent out, please connect to your existing Stripe account, or create a new Stripe account:
- In ADR Notable, select the Settings "gear icon" in the lower left corner and select Manage Firm.
- Click on Display/Edit in your Firm row.
- Scroll down to the Billing Settings section and select the Connect Stripe Account button at the bottom. This is also where you can elect to pass along your Stripe fees to the client. You will go to the Stripe creation page where you can link your account to ADR Notable.
Once you have connected your Stripe account, there is one setting that you will have to adjust to keep your clients from receiving duplicate invoices:
1. Go to https://dashboard.stripe.com/settings/billing/automatic (and sign in if needed).
2. Navigate to Settings by clicking on the Gear icon in the upper right corner.
3. Under Product Settings > Billing, select Subscriptions and emails.
2. Scroll down to Manage invoices sent to customers and turn off Email finalized invoices to customers. Click on Save.
From here on, each invoice you generate will include a link to the Stripe portal to pay the Invoice online.
For information on how to use payment processors other than Stripe, read this article: In the Billing module, what methods of payment do you allow for?
And that's it! You are ready to create your Billable items.
The next and final step will be to Generating an Invoice from the billables in each case.